Saturday, February 14, 2009






Habib

When I was in middle school
I told you that I loved anything
written about the great depression
because it was sure to be depressing.
I read The Grapes of Wrath
two times that year;
thoroughly and consecutively.

Eight years later
I wrote a song about you
that says:
“A whole life
in search of you”

I know exactly where you live.
I have your address.
You live on west mcmillian street
above a funeral home
on top of a hill,
over looking a mid-western park
with trees in it.

I went there one time
but you weren’t there.
You were my only friend
and you weren’t there!

I went back to my father’s car
that I borrowed to go see you
and cried
twenty miles
into the suburbs.

Then I turned off the car,
walked from the car to the basement
and then crawled into bed.

Later in the song
it says:
“a whole life spent crying
and I’m not exactly sure why,
oh why!”

__________________________

READ THE GODS ARE LONELY IN ESPANOL
I have some poems that were recently translated into Spanish by Andy Riverbed.
You can read them on his website or the gods are lonely in epsanol.
"The Day Hours Will Eventually Destroy You"
"Aimless"

2 comments:

  1. i thought this was a very good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like this poem. it's sweet, sad.

    ReplyDelete